Sunday, May 14, 2006

Near & Dear

I have often come across some Indians who say (in a disgusting tone) 'I do not want to stay in that area because there are sooo many indians'. Pal, you too are an indian, what's your problem in staying with them? I got 2 kinds of answers to this question of mine:
Version 1: I do not like the Indians. They are very narrow-minded, intrusive, etc, etc

What?? Boss, you too are an indian. How broad-minded are you? You do not like indians, but you will behave like one (in terms of shopping, entertainment options, traveling, etc). You do not like indians, but will go for lunch with them. I bet, my friend, you would very soon go searching for Indian friends!

Version 2: I have come so far from India. I want to feel the US kind of living.

Reasonable. But, are you following the life completely. No. You stay inside the house mostly. If you go outside, it will be with your Indian friends. How many of US friends do you have? Have you matched their spending lifestyle? Their freak-out on friday lifestyle? I doubt.

I am clue-less as to why someone has to feel low about being near to their country folks. This is not an abnormal phenomenon. I don't think 'Birds of a feather flock together' would have been coined just like that. This will be the case with every national when they are in a foreign area!

There is nothing wrong in being with one's near and dear.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger KK said...

Karta nice post. I have also come across many people who have used the statement that you have mentioned. Infact I am also one of the person who says that though not often. The reason would be pretty close to your second reason. Having come here I would like to feel the US way of life.
Another reason is, If you walk past any indian on the road you will mostly be getting a cold stare from them, as if some wierd looking thing is going past them. So if I stay away from them I can avoid those wierdo looks at me.

PS: I dont give a wierdo look at any indian who goes past me :)

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Bhale Budugu said...

good posts up here !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home